The 2019-2020 season is officially over. It was a season full of excitement thanks to the dynamic players on both sides of the ball. Many players will be back next season to show themselves off once again. Until then, we…
The 2019-2020 season is officially over. It was a season full of excitement thanks to the dynamic players on both sides of the ball. Many players will be back next season to show themselves off once again. Until then, we have to appreciate what we saw on the floor this season — especially from these players. Here are the stat leaders from around the state.
POINTS: Luke Brown Luke Brown 6'1" | PG Blackford | 2021 State IN (2021) | Blackford: 32.3 per game
Brown has been one of the top scorers across the state for all three seasons of his high school career. He went from averaging 28 a game to 35 a game from his freshman to sophomore year, and then, he averaged over 30 again during this past season. Going into his senior year, he is going to be a scary player to have to guard for opponents. He enters his senior year a mere 572 points away from being a top 5 career scorer in Indiana history. If he plays the same number of games as he did in 2019-20, that would be simply 22 points per game which is well in reach.
2. Johnell Davis Johnell Davis 6'2" | PG Gary 21st Century | 2020 State #313 Nation IN (2020) | Gary 21st Century: 31.4 PPG
3. Keon Thompson Keon Thompson 6'0" | PG Merrillville | 2021 IN (2021) | Merrillville: 30.5 PPG
4. Sincere McMahon Sincere McMahon 6'0" | SG Crispus Attucks | 2020 State IN (2020) | Indianapolis Crispus Attucks: 26.1 PPG
5. Trey Kaufman Trey Kaufman 6'8" | PF Silver Creek | 2021 State #39 Nation IN (2021) | Silver Creek: 25.8 PPG
REBOUNDS: Caleb Furst Caleb Furst 6'9" | PF Blackhawk Christian | 2021 State #34 Nation IN (2021) | Fort Wayne Blackhawk Christian: 13.4 per game
At 6’8, Furst is one of the top post players in the entire country. He can score from the outside and from the inside as well as grab rebounds from any place on the floor. He still has another season at Blackhawk, and as they entered Regional this season, he had them at the odds on favorite to win the state tournament. Furst has recently committed to Purdue, and he will have great potential to succeed at the Big Ten level.
2. Osvaldo Terrazas (2020) | Whiting: 12.6 RPG
3. Payton Sparks Payton Sparks 6'10" | C Winchester | 2021 State IN (2021) | Winchester: 12.4 RPG
4. Kiyron Powell Kiyron Powell 6'10" | C Benjamin Bosse | 2020 State #157 Nation IN (2020) | Evansville Bosse: 12.4 RPG
5. Jake Moynihan (2021) | Seton Catholic: 12.4 RPG
ASSISTS: Simon Scherry Simon Scherry 6'2" | PG Heritage Hills | 2020 State IN (2020) | Heritage Hills: 7.8 per game
Scherry recently became the all-time leader in assists at Heritage Hills, and he has been one of the top passers across the state. With a plethora of scorers around him, he has the ability to find the open man at any spot on the floor. Scherry has the quick hands and vision to be a top-level point guard as well as a middle infielder in baseball which is why he will be continuing his athletic career at Evansville University to be a shortstop on the baseball team.
2. Luke Brown Luke Brown 6'1" | PG Blackford | 2021 State IN (2021) | Blackford: 7.7 APG
3. Dominic Walters (2020) | South Decatur: 7.1 APG
4. Peyton Wert (2021) | Milan: 6.9 APG
5. Weston Hamby Weston Hamby 5'10" | PG Manchester | 2021 State IN (2021) | Manchester: 6.7 APG
STEALS: Johnell Davis Johnell Davis 6'2" | PG Gary 21st Century | 2020 State #313 Nation IN (2020) | Gary 21st Century: 4.6 per game
Davis has quickly risen up the rankings to be one of the top seniors in the state of Indiana as he is in the top five in both points and steals. He has quick hands and reads passing lanes well which allows for him to come up with steals consistently. Davis will be attending Florida Atlantic University in the coming year, and he seems to be destined to a great career at the division one level.
2. Austin Kramer (2021) | Southwestern (Hanover): 4.0 SPG
3. Simon Scherry Simon Scherry 6'2" | PG Heritage Hills | 2020 State IN (2020) | Heritage Hills: 3.6 SPG
4. Carson Rich (2021) | Southwood: 3.5 SPG
5. Camden Bender (2020) | North Posey: 3.5 SPG
BLOCKS: Kiyron Powell Kiyron Powell 6'10" | C Benjamin Bosse | 2020 State #157 Nation IN (2020) | Evansville Bosse: 7.9 per game
Powell has been a block machine this season as you can see from his whopping 7.9 blocks per game. He recorded 6 triple-doubles this season with points, rebounds, and blocks, and he has recorded 10 of these triple-doubles during his career. Powell will bulk up at Houston next year, and he is going to be a force to be reckoned with inside for years to come at the University of Houston.
2. Ben Humrichous Ben Humrichous 6'8" | PF Tipton | 2020 State IN (2020) | Tipton: 6.1 BPG
3. Austin Darnell Austin Darnell 6'7" | PF Washington Twp. | 2020 State IN (2020) | Washington Township: 5.3 BPG
4. Jake Moynihan (2021) | Seton Catholic: 4.5 BPG
5. Christian Fowler (2020) | Union (Modoc): 4.5 BPG