Kyler’s Week 6 Player Evaluations
In this article:
This week was full of great games that had lots of great players in them. I saw some exciting prospects and look forward to giving you my evaluations each and every Sunday throughout the season. It is time to recap…
This week was full of great games that had lots of great players in them. I saw some exciting prospects and look forward to giving you my evaluations each and every Sunday throughout the season. It is time to recap this week and look at what our exciting prospects did.
Bedford North Lawrence: Bedford Holiday Tournament vs Owen Valley (12/28)
– 6’1 2023 PG: Staggs is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in the state. First half he was a little quiet before going off in the second half and fishing with 17 pts total. He is on the shorter end but looks to be a lot stronger and amped up his aggressiveness a bit more. He is a just an overall smart player that knows how to score and run an offense. Small schools should be all over this guy.
Colten Leach – 6’1 2023 PG/SG: I thought Leach was the best player on the floor for BNL this game. He is coming off ACL surgery but showed no signs of struggle here. Had a couple of nice oop finishes and thought that his iso play was solid. Looks to have improved a little with his jump shot has made a couple of 15fters. Defensively, I thought he was the best defender on the floor. He finished with a team high 20 pts.
Owen Valley: Bedford Holiday Tournament vs Bedford North Lawrence (12/28)
– 6’8 2022 C: Brock is a true post with legit size. Finished around the basket well and always seemed to get himself in great position on the offense. Could be a solid rim protector in the long term.
Cayden Paquette – 6’3 2022 SF: Paquette is a taller wing with a good amount of overall length. Had himself a very good showing here as he was scoring at all three levels. He works well off the ball is creative enough to get his own shot. He looks like a high end scorer and a knock down shooter. He finished with a team high 20 pts for Owen Valley.
Bloomington North: Bedford Holiday Tournament vs Whiteland (12/28)
– 6’0 2022 PG: Fitch was the main lead guard for the Cougars with being out. Thought he ran the offense very well and shot the ball and drive to the basket well. Displayed a beautiful shot fake then pulled up for a 17fter. He finished with 10 pts.
Nate Hoffman – 6’2 2022 SG: Hoffman is a taller shooting guard who is North’s primary outside threat. Has a smooth jumper and works well off the ball to get an open look. Also showed some underrated defense and had a huge block. He finished with 13 pts.
Lucas Vencel – 6’4 2023 SF: Vencel is a small forward that played mostly inside here. Real aggressive player and does all the little things for Bloomington North. Very strong rebounder and plays tough defense as well.
– 6’7 2023 PF: Roberts had himself an easy day here. Whiteland had nobody that could stop him in the paint and that resulted in easy layins and dunks. Thought his defense was solid as well as his shot selection. He finished with a game high double-double with 27 pts and 10 rbs.
Whiteland: Bedford Holiday Tournament vs Bloomington North (12/28)
– 6’6 2022 PF (Ball State Football Commit):The Ball State football commit showed off his physical play here. Was almost entirely shut down by JQ Roberts in the first half but started getting it going in the second. Scored around the basket and made a 3 all in the 2H. When he is on, he is a huge boost for this Whiteland team.
– 6’4 2023 SF: Willoughby was Whiteland’s best player in the game vs Bloomington North. Has a bigger frame with a high end motor. Slashed well off the ball and scored very well around the rim. He finished with a team high 11 pts and 6 rbs.
Huntington North: vs Fort Wayne Snider (12/29)
– 6’0 2022 SG: Hubartt had himself a game here. Listed at 6’0 but looks to be a little bigger than that and has an incredibly high motor. Shot the ball so well from deep and finished well through contact. Made great passes and did a little bit of dirty work as well. Also works well off of screens and can score on the baseline. He finished with 31 pts
– 6’3 2022 SF: Hotchkiss is a long and lanky SF with athleticism. Excellent rebounder this game and gave his team some second chance points. Has a smooth baseline jumper as well. He finished with 10 pts.
Fort Wayne Snider: vs Huntington North (12/29)
– 6’1 2022 PG (Barry Commit): Jenkins is an athletic PG that has a long frame. Silky smooth player that scored at all three levels. He was the primary ball handler and showed how elite of a scorer he was. High ball IQ and should make an impact right away when he arrives at Barry. He finished with 26 pts
– 6’2 2022 SG: He may have started off slow in the 1Q but once the 2Q hit, there was not anybody on Huntington North that could stop him. Lit it up from behind the arc (5 triples) and he was hitting them from deep too. Also had multiple buzzer beaters including one where he stole the ball and scored a fastbreak layup. Used his athleticism and elite quickness to make plays at the rim too. Really outstanding game from Lambert here and in my opinion he was the best player this game. He finished with 25 pts.
– 6’5 2022 SF: Brown is a bigger and stronger SF with long wingspan. Rebounded well this game and played aggressive and defended well. Shot the ball well including a few big 3s from deep distance. Played his role very well here. Lot of really good offers on his school list which includes Adrian, Franklin, Wabash, Manchester, and Rose-Hulman. He finished with 7 pts
– 6’0 2022 PG: Davis is a bulldog of a guard. Listed as a PG, and that is probably what he would be at the next level, he played more off the ball here. Defended very well and had a couple of steals. Finished strong at the rim and displayed his ability to use his strong body to score through contact. Even showed the ability to knock down the 3 ball.
New Haven: vs Fishers (12/29)
– 6’5 2023 SF: Brooks is a long SF with elite athleticism. Got in foul trouble early in this game and that really hurt New Haven as they were sticking with Fishers before he went to the bench. As far as his play, he got to the basket easily and thought his defense was pretty good. Was a little out of control at times with the ball but there were times where he showed off his added strength finishing through contact. He finished with 13 pts.